We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Business: Lukas Awesome Recycling

Back in May Lukas started his own business. He named it Lukas Awesome Recycling. He has about 8 "customers" who save plastic, glass bottles, and cans. When my mother came to visit he described his success this way:

Beer bottles are my favorite. Because you get the most money for them.

And it's true. He profits on the wake of other people's drinking habits. Water, soda, and beer mostly. An added benefit that I hadn't originally considered is the awareness he has gained for the putrid smell of over-fermented beer. He finds it absolutely disgusting...which is music to my mom-who-will-someday-have-a-teenager ears. I hope he'll find it so repulsive that he'll never want to try it. Not that people can't drink responsibly and all that, but it's still got more minuses than plusses in my book.

The delayed gratification of saving for something big has been awesome too. He wants candy at the store? I say, "Sure, no problem. It's 50 cents. You have money!" And he'll reply,"But I'm saving for a Legoland pass!!"

And he's learning to add up money here and there when we write it down in our ledger when we get home. 

Another recent sweet experience occured when I received a donation slip in the mail to give food to the San Diego Food Bank. I asked Lukas how much money he might want to donate. He brought me $2. Then at the dollar Store, you have the option to donate a dollar-toy to operation Homefront, which gives toys to local military families who may need help during the holidays. Having donated once, he asked about it when back in the store a few days later for something, inquiring whether we'd give toys to the kids again. I asked him if he wanted to give from his money, and he replied yes. It makes my heart feel so full to see the generosity and goodness of this sweet little person.

P.S. Now he's got the Legoland Pass!!! Jared's going to write some amazing detailed blogpost about that experience with pics since he was there while I was working.  

P.P.S. The next goal item is an ipad. Then legos.  Go Lukas Go! Sky is the limit!

No comments: