We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Snorkeling at La Jolla Cove

We took all the young women to La Jolla Cove to snorkel. Before going in, we did some First Aid Certification for camp, and I did a presentation on animals they may see, including the famous Giribaldi Fish, seen in the Dr. Seuss books. And we saw them everywhere! Underneath the surface, there is this other entire world that lies hidden by a plane of shimmering water. At one point, directly underneath us swam a sea lion, and I felt my eyes bulging out of my goggles. You see, I unwisely read up on this place before coming here, and read about how mean the large sea lions could be.(500 pounds of mean!) And how they would occasionally challenge swimmers out here, protecting their territory. They've actually taken over much of this cove and another, causing an uproar among locals who are for vs. against the rights of animals to lay claim to the space. Anyhow, getting in the water and breathing through the snorkel takes getting used to initially. I literally had to think about breathing slowly, because my initial reaction was survival- quick breaths, until I got the hang of it. Then it was amazing! I could swim and swim, always looking down to see the swaying grasses below me as I went. A surreal feeling for sure. The adrenaline rush from the breathing, the sights, and the incoming swells of water distracted me from the fact that for me the water was still quite cold! (When I got out I'm sure my lips were a bit blue!) It was amazing! I can't wait to buy a wetsuit and go again!! Who wants to visit and try it out??








No comments: