We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Monday, September 1, 2014

That is my Visiting Teacher

...said Susan to the temple worker as she hurriedly walked from the dressing room to get a name for the endowment session. Her son, 45 yr old Bryan, was going through the temple for the first time and her nervousness and excitement was visibly apparent.  He's a very long way from an old life he's leaving behind- a wonderful example of how the gospel changes lives. Drugs and alcohol have no power when up against a loving savior and a willingness to change.
I've known Susan for two years- ever since that first backyard bonfire at Hervey's where everyone spilled "their story" and I "got to know" the ward. Her story of her life had me rolling, and she reminded me of an old German woman on my mission, whose glares were returned with mine, then smiles and we'd both laugh. She's a sassy, outspoken lady with a New York accent. Although I never thought I'd become friends with a 70+ yr old woman, through visits, thrift shopping together, and an occasional walk on the beach to talk, I've heard more of her "story" and I understand better as to where she's coming from. And I realize that life's problems seem to recirculate, regardless of the age bracket we fall under. Life is tricky, no matter what the stage, and everyone can use encouragement.
So last night at the temple , as she "claimed me" to that temple worker...I was full of joy, to be able to know her, and support her in a meaningful way.

No comments: