We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Personal Progress - Out of the mouth of a 5 year old Boy

If you ever participated in the Young Women's Organization's "Personal Progress" program as a youth, you may know that it was lots of experiences and projects spread out over 6 years.  I finished when I was in my last YW year and didn't think much of it.

Til I moved to Vista.

There are girls here done. For the second. And third time. And I can't help by wonder why. (I know).
Most are one time through, but done by 16. And I mean DONE by 16. Then they either ditch church altogether, or ride out the last 2 years in a blissful state of being done/checking out/ and showing up for only the funnest things, and even then it can be sketchy. 

So when the new YW president just got called and I got called back in again as the 1st c, I sighed an inner sigh when we were challenged to complete Personal Progress in a year. 

Let me repeat. One year. 

So here I sat at the BYU game Saturday night, personal progress book in hand (in the telephone, actually), wondering what I could complete in one evening. (Or one hour. Let's be honest here.) And came across this little ditty: Divine Nature number one: Read some stuff, think about it, write down the application and goals. Okay, now we're talkin'! So in my phone I highlighted these verses into blogger and thought on the bold attributes I should figure out how to develop. All of them, it said. So I began asking Lukas how a person could gain more humility. The word for humility is really close to the word 'courageous' in German, so now, in hindsight, I can completely understand what he was talking about. But only after I shed a few tears from laughter tears...when he wasn't looking anymore of course! 

Div. Nat. 1-
23 And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive.
24 And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works.
45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.

How to achieve?
Humble: Demutig
L;"wenn du die Lichter ausmachst..." Wenn du die junge Damen ängster machst, dann fühlen sich mutiger."  (If you turn out the lights.... when you scare the young women, then they'll feel more courageous!)

Gentle: Sanfter
"Wenn du ein Beispiel machst." (When you set an example.)

Patience: Geduld
"wenn du etwas ganz lange machst, und dann müssen sie ganz lange warten. "
-ist das wie Du Geduld gelernt hast?
"ja"
(L; If you do something for a long time, then they have to wait a whole long while. Me: Is that how you've learned patience? L: Yeah!)

I'm seeing this challenge in a whole new light now. I'm going to get some great quotes and sweet experiences with a special little boy!!

1 comment:

Jeri said...

Out of the mouths of babes... You have to love the simple logic of children! Lukas should make working on Personal Progress a lot more interesting this time around!