We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Oops. Big oops.

I met Sri in the hall Sunday after the Sacrament meeting. She wanted to donate a sack of baby clothes somewhere.  We happen to have a clothing swap coming up, so I told her she could leave em in the bishop's office since she said she was passing through. She came around to where we attend gospel essentials, and said she hadn't been in a long time, and needed to talk to the bishop. I told her it was no big deal, to come on in with me...made her feel comfortable and welcome. No judgement. Just come in. And breathe. She said she hadn't been in years. I told her "who cares?! It isn't a contest." She was all kinds of grateful, and said she and her boy left with just two bags, and though it might seem irresponsible, she was doing what she felt she had to do.  Said the boy's father beats her and him, and she doesn't want it to ruin the boy. The typical battered woman right? I'm praising her for doing what she feels like God wants her to do, and keeping the boy safe. They stayed for the baptism that afternoon, and her son Nico even helped put away tables, etc. Such a good boy. Really. Just 11 yrs old. I hoped they'd gotten enough to eat, and asked if they wanted more. She tells me the bishop put them up in a motel for the night and needed maybe one more. She was asking about cheap apartments and Jared and I are recommending places and giving her numbers.When I asked how much she could spend, she mentioned she was "on disability. And with good reason." We gave her some apartment options we knew of.  Maybe not in the best neighborhoods, but cheap enough for a fresh start in a new place.

While waiting to make potato derby cars with the youth in the week, I asked the sisters about an YW investigator and about Nico and his mom . Then Sister Beretera gets this crazy surprise eyed look on her face and gets all close and animated. Turns out, they told me, that the state-wide Amber Alert sent out yesterday (which I, too, received on my cell, and without a second thought went on with my day), was for that mother with her son Nico!!! She had kidnapped him during her visitation days in Long Beach and took off with him. She is now in jail and her boy is back in custody of his father.

And she has my phone number.

And apparently I aided and abetted a fugitive. As did the church!

Jared's response? "At least you have a new story for 2 truths and a lie."  Nice.

And speaking up safe atmosphere at church: three drunk guys showed up to Jared's EQ lesson, actively participated too. Lol. Moral of the story: Um....keep an eye on your kid at all times in our ward. Who knows who is going to show up!

1 comment:

Rachel Farnsworth said...

Alright so I'm just barely catching up with your blog, but I absolutely love this post. It is hilarious! It just goes to show that we can lovingly serve everyone without judgment...even if they are fugitives or drunk.