We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Friday, November 29, 2013

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

I love the day after Thanksgiving! The Christmas excitement will explode in our apartment! First goes up the tree, then the lights. We usually have to sit and soak it in for awhile, drink some egg nog, eat some dinner in there somewhere. Then it's up with the advent Calendar! The first FHE following Thanksgiving is dedicated to making the advent notes and stuffing the pockets with candies! All the while, our favorite Christmas music is happily floating through the house. It's a "snowglobe" moment, when all is right in the world, and the moment could almost be frozen.
This year I wanted to document especially some of the ornaments hanging on the tree. And hey, if there's ever a fire, at least they'll be documented, right? Whenever we trim the tree, and open the ornament box, out come lots of stories with each item hung on the tree! Years worth of memories and people to remember!




 The little red coated person with the cap was knitted by Jared's Great Grandma Helga, Lukas' Great Great Grandmother. She died early in the year that Jared and I were married. The big salt-dough star was made in 2006 by my 6th grade students and has each of their signatures on it. The shiny gold Star of Bethlehem in the golden oval was sent to me by my parents (I think?) while I was serving in the Frankfurt Germany mission. The little angel was given to me before I returned home from that mission by Karin Klink, who I adore. The little soccer frame has a picture from Lukas' first Christmas year, and I cannot remember who gave us the frame, but I love to hang it up every year and remember how little he was then. The white angel with the pink ribbons was hanging on the door of My Aunt Shari's room while she was in the hospice. She died before I was able to see her and my mom brought me the angel from her care nurse. We put it atop our Christmas tree each year and I happily remember her and take joy in the fact that Lukas hears all of these stories every.single.year. I like snowmen, and "won" this snowman tile off of sister in law Amy's blog back in the day. It sits on the shelf next to the cozy snowmen with skates from Grammy & Grampy's house in UT, for whom Jared and I cared for and lived with for about a year and a half. The wooden cut out bell is from Germany from a Christmas Market. It reminds me of the Christmases there and how special they are. The nutcracker I bought on my mission and brought home. It smokes from its mouth when incense is burned in it. The pinecone person and poinsetta ornament were made with the students at the German school this year, and I love how old-school and "German" they are! The angels are from Oriental Trading. I bought them years ago, needing ornaments to put on the tree. The three boxes were from the dollar store. I stained them and put funky shiny things in them, and precious 'stones'. Lukas LOVED to play with them as a toddler, as they always sit accessible underneath the Christmas tree :)
I love how holidays can be transformed into something magical by the memories created around them, and look forward to every ounce of happiness Christmas brings our family!








 








No comments: