We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Virginia, We made it. Barely!

Long flight. Lukas is a great travel buddy! Met grandma at the airport. Lukas threw up when we got off of 95. All over grandma's car. Poor kid was embarrassed, and didn't want anyone to see him, so he bathed, then went swimming. He was so glad to finally be on the ground. Pretty sure the string cheese did him in. Or he just gets air sick. Had a fun first evening with everyone here. Jana & Justin were visiting this week, and Lukas is soooo excited to get to play with cousins, especially Ben who is his age-ish, and who sometimes writes Lukas little penpal letters and sends them in the mail. They even shared a bed til Lukas rolled out and came and found me. Haha! We got to catch fireflies the first night here!! Lukas would run in all sorts of directions trying to get one! Thanks to Avery and Justin we actually saw a few up close.

We also got to go to the creek near grandma and grandpa's house! Sure smells and feels like the woods and air I grew up with. The kids were filthy and happy, just as we like them! Lukas said, "this is the best perfect place ever!"

I got to visit with President and Sister Manwaring last night! They picked me up and took me to dinner and had such a wonderful time. It's funny how as a kid my parents would revere the names of stake president Chapman, or speak in awe of Patriarch Ovard, and what great men they were. And they were, no doubt. Something funny happened when I got older and served a mission. I noticed that all people are just people. Like my mission president. Boy are they all on pedestals in the beginning, almost to a disservice to them and ourselves. I don't know that anyone has a pedestal for me anymore. Not because I disrespect them,but because I see us all more as equals... because nobody is perfect, and nobody's got it all figured out. I respect people actually more when they stop demanding respect, and when they too show honesty in their life struggles and reflect with honesty about their downfalls. That's why I love the Manwarings. They're not some neatly packaged little Molly Mormon family. They are a family who loves the Lord, reads the scriptures, and prays and shares the gospel. They have kids who have fallen away and aren't perfect. And they admit it. They don't try to live an image. They are themselves. And they listen without judgement, and give validation and feedback to my concerns, my victories, and they know me in a way only a select group of people do....  It was great to talk to them, and I felt grateful that they took the time to hang out with me and catch up.







No comments: