We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Flying Home Adventure

Talk about an adventure getting home! First of all, there were lots of goodbyes at Grandma's house as Justin and Jana packed all the kids in their van to drive to their new home in VA. They'd left Ben at G'ma's for a week so that Lukas and he could play, and so they could finish packing up the house and get moved from NC to the new place at a new army base. I texted with a grumpy Grandpa up until Mom dropped us off at the airport. I ended up carrying Lukas initially because he was so exhausted from swimming in Grandma's pool and got a little bit too much sun and no nap. Options to check luggage outside? Done! Once at the airport terminal we could relax and take inventory. Then some guy breaks on over the microphone that some of the Greatest Generation were there, having been flown out to see the WW2 Memorial. Interesting that just a couple of months later it would be closed because of congress. Anyways, we all clapped for them as they got their "last mail call" and boarded shortly thereafter. Despite the dvd and ample things to keep him going, Lukas wasn't feeling too hot... apparently.  He did fine on the first flight, and feeling like a champ we got on the second one. It was later at night now, and people would want to sleep on this flight. And here I'm saying, "don't worry, he's a great little travel buddy."  Within 30 minutes I was eating those words as Lukas lost his. I caught them though...all of em. In a ziploc bag. Right next to the handsome buff BBC Planet Earth kind of guy at the window seat sitting right next to said boy and Ziploc bag. He just laughed and said it was alright. I took sick kiddo and extra Ziploc to the really sanitary airplane bathroom to get him changed into a night diaper so he could sleep through the long flight without worry of any accident. He used my second ziploc bag there, and I was praising that invention's creation. Poor kid. He fell right asleep in the chair for the rest of the time, even as the plane landed and lights were on. He didn't budge. So I carried him. He's about 45 pounds now. All the way through the airport. My arms were burning as I got to an elevator to take us to baggage. And as I watched for our bags and ride home, he slept by my feet on the comfortable airport floor. And he wasn't the only one! Poor kid. (And he doesn't remember, or believe me except that I have pictures to prove it! )He slept well that night though, in his own bed in his own home. And all was well. 







No comments: