We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Friday, June 14, 2013

Childhood Papers

I pulled out a crown someone made for my 5th birthday, I think at school. The cutout light bulb was held up in my Primary as kids were standing to see who was being spotlighted that week. The old paintings, drawings, and creations from elementary school were available in large quantities. Linda Evans. That third grade drawing I did of half of her face was my masterpiece. Yes. I could draw!  And I liked it. (Of the rest I'm not so proud, per say, but that one... man... I remember that 3rd grade euphoria of thinking it quite grand and wanting nothing to ever happen to it... thus its preservation all this time.) I found piles of old report cards, all the accolades of an elementary school Goody too-shoos. The good grades, the spelling bee, the honor roll, the races, the Invention Convention for cryin out loud! Looking back, I think I thrived on accolades and praise back then. If I could get a ton of certificates or win a contest, then I was good. And I remember always thinking that I had a shot at it. And maybe having them in binders and books for all those years was proof somehow. But the digital age is a blessing and means lots less clutter. And I have moved on from the trunks of stuff. It's weird to see the names of childhood friends on envelopes. Robyn Wilson. I have no contact with any of these names any more. I'm a mom to a spunky 4 year old boy to whom I showed a 'certificate' I got for learning to ride my bike. When I was seven. Because that's how it was back then. He learned when we was 3. Still 2 technically, but mostly 3. Think he's amazed ? lol. But therein lies something cool... that one find joys in that which someone else learned faster, does better, and at a younger age. We provide better opportunities than we had. And that's probably the take away moral of my parents that can probably be my positive take-away prize. All in all they gave me opportunities where theirs were limited. All in all, they gave love although they received so excruciatingly little. My life up til 12 years old was pretty rockin, actually. And for that I'm grateful. After that I held a job pretty consistently til I was married at 23, and the family boat rocked quite hard for some years, interspersed with some fun times too. I had great friends who also had rough family boats. They're the only ones I still have contact with from back then. And their awesome glamour shot picture and camp pictures were found in those trunks. I would text them a newly found picture and they'd write back "Where are you getting all of this stuff??!!!". Fun times at Girls Camp, being silly, going on hikes, talking. Lots of talking. Kids need good friends. I was blessed to have mine! And to see them again together this summer was like in a movie. Kasiah had just had a baby. And Katie's boy was now 5 (?), having survived birth at just 26 (?) weeks weighing 1 pound and 8 ounces. His little sister was only 1 lb 3 oz and passed on. And who would've known that just a couple months after our visit this summer... before the holidays, Katie's dad would pass away. He'd always showed me kindness and fairness, and I liked him. We're at that phase of life now. Where life happens, and childhood is long since over, but its effects are not. And we're raising children while still figuring out ourselves. It felt good to pack away the childhood things and move on, close a door. If we are hanging onto so many things from the past, I think it blocks us somehow from living in the now and seeing the chance for making memories in the present, so that they become the new stories to tell at future family gatherings. So here's a tribute to past paper kram:










Justin drew this and previous... just so ya know.




















































No comments: