We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Monday, November 5, 2012

A Real Version of Time Out For Women

Sunset to a great day. It was 80 degrees. It's November 5th in So.Cal. A warm day after some rainy ones, and we zoomed over to the beach after naptime. It was one of those picturesque days because of the company. For awhile, just Lukas and I. Running on the beach. Chasing waves. Collecting rocks. Skipping stones across the water going out. Happy giggles. Holding hands. Smiles. I like him. He likes me. It's a good day. Friends come. The kids play together. The moms talk. T.o.F.W. comes up. Ahhhh, ha ha ha. My thoughts? While I'm sure it's probably super cool to go hear some talks and feel uplifted, the fact that most all of the speakers are there to sell a book and get some mula makes it feel like a crummy commercial for me. But alas, I've never been. But I have read a couple of books that others brought back from the experience. I wasn't impressed with the books, but I'll bet one of the coolest parts of the whole experience is being "OUT" for a whole day or two with other women who understand one better. And THAT in and of itself IS awesome, but also attainable closer to home. For free. Just sayin. 

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I went this year hoping to be uplifted, but sadly I felt the same way as you. It seemed like they were trying to use the spirit to get people to spend money. I was really bothered and will never go back. I guess some people love it and that's great, but it's just not for me.

Jess said...

Yes! I agree! I sometimes get that feeling through deseret book when there are huge promotions going on during conference or priesthood session... or when I wonder why ctr rings, which started out as a cheapo ring for eight year olds when they joined the ctr class, is now sold for upwards of a couple hundred dollars. is that ring really there to help one choose the right? just too much playing on people's feelings and convictions to turn a profit instead of really making them closer to Jesus, in my opinion.