We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Two Self Reliance Epiphones you can Laugh at...

1. We should just store what we eat!!

2. If we eat it, it doesn't need to last on the shelf over a year!

We recently had a big RS activity on making mixes to store for quick use, and for the event of disaster and long(er) term food storage. When I left my head was swimming with information, and I was determined to go so far as to actually buy a handful of whole wheat kernels from the bulk section and let them sprout- just for the experience.

I feel so grown up, having food storage, planning on how to use wheat kernels.  Life has these certain "grown up" moments where something happens and I realize that I'm "that mom" or "that Relief Society sister" now, and it makes me either laugh or shudder momentarily.

I mean, wheat sprouts. Really.

But then I go visiting teaching, and visiting a 70 yr old isn't a WHOLE lot different than visiting random dorm girls at BYU, or random people on my mission, so life comes full circle and in the end we are all just people learning how to become perfected (imagine a quadrillion levels to get there) in an endless amount of talents,skills, and characteristics. So of course we're all different, and moving at whatever pace our current motivation is allowing us to move in. That's why age doesn't matter. 

So it's okay that I now own big white buckets full of wheat flour, rice, and oatmeal. Life comes at you fast. You turn the corner and BAM, you're looking at new ways to improve nutrition, physical fitness, gospel education, improve my child's education, learn new things through secular books, and find meaningful ways to spend the 'off' time besides squandering it with TV shows and internet silliness.

Here's to many more discoveries of self. :)




No comments: