We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Remember Bugs on a Log?


After calling a truce at the close of the Dried Papaya War (arguments every day about why he should have dried papaya all day long... until it was finally gone-thank goodness!) and after awhile of no grocery shopping for new fruits & veggies, we were kind of 'out' of everything, since the majority of the groceries we get are from the produce aisle. (Based on that note, any ideas for food storage by the way?) 

So we went for an oldie but goodie-- jazzed up with Craisins. It totally reminded me of being a kid, and going to all the work to make them (and making a ton to make it worth it) then slipping away to eat em all in a flash. Mom was sneaky, getting us to eat carrots and celery. We usually had no-sugar cereals like rice puffs, tasteos, and checked rice (always the off brands) and (gag me) cream of wheat... in which my spoon sometimes stuck by the time my I'd-rather-have-slept-15-more-minutes-and-probably-did self made it to the breakfast table.   But there was that one time that I craved sugar so much (having a sweet tooth the size of TX) that I filled a cereal bowl with a cup of sugar and some milk and just ate it.  I got a belly ache and an earful.  But don't think I was deprived. No siree. I stole my own marshmallows out of the bags of the grocery store when I was three or four (I have a vivid memory of it to this day-- I guess those big sins like stealing tend to stick to the soul to remind us of the horrific nature of the act) and had PLENTY of Texas T 'soders' after T-Ball games, had good ol' birthday cake 6 times a year, and more if I happened to have a friend at the time.  Mom made brownies, and pineapple upside down cake, and a mean cherry pie, because Dad liked em so much.  





No comments: