We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Friday, September 21, 2012

Hello Self Reliance

"I know, right? It's not so popular to be Christian these days. I'm a member of the largest Christian Women's Organization in the World. It's called the Relief Society. Lots of Christian Women there support each other in our faith in Jesus, and learn how to be self reliant and we do lots of Service projects for others. Do you want to come?"

"Yeah! Let me give you my card!"

That's how I met Regina Blanchard who is going to come to a RS activity with me soon! I am so excited to have met a cool mom at the park who has a cute curly haired little white boy like mine!

So I go to RS pretty religiously these days since it's a great way to get a break from day to day momness, and meet up with some pretty awesome ladies from 18-99. Lately, I've been goin' to the self reliance classes and have learned a few poignant things for myself that are not earth shattering at all. In fact, I've heard em a million times, but just figured them out for myself. Sad.

  • If I actually eat it, I don't need it to last 5 yrs or longer.
  • I need to store what I eat and eat what I store.
  • I need to know what on earth we eat!
And so I've tried to take a look at what we eat, and have boiled our life down to the general categories of:
Stir Fry
Mexican
Soup/Chili
Italian (think pizza or noodles)
Sandwiches
Potato with something. How's that for dreamy.

And it's not so bad as it once seemed. And then it dawned on me last night as I sat in a RS class, and caught a glimpse of a pair of knitting needles lying neatly in a well-started project behind me, while at the same time was in awe of a couple of cute older ladies with some pretty sassy white hair going on and thought: I have arrived. I am such a "Relief Society Sister" now. I've thought that before for different reasons at different times, but nothing like feeling like you've stepped into some shoes your mother must've worn before-- and in my mind's eye seeing my mother sitting at some meeting while I was the rug rat climbing in and out of laps, or playing in the nursery with other kids while my mom probably discussed with other moms those mothering topics like food nutrition, child behaviors, and how we're doing on helping our kids avoid the 'not so good' things of this life in an uphill battle. You know, TV, sugar, food colorings & additives, and helping them learn to love good things like playing outside, using their imagination, reading, using their body to ride bikes/climb/etc, and how we keep them tired so they'll sleep at night :)

So from one sister to another of the millions of RS sisters-- I'm so there. I've arrived. I can't wait to get to know you better. Again.

Below: We learned how to make ovens from apple boxes, foil, and water heater tape.Just prop a metal dollar store cooking rack up on some empty cans to cook food. Put about 11 hot coals (takes about 25 mins to get em hot) under the rack (on an aluminum pan or on a ceramic floor tile, or concrete but it stains) and let it warm up, then make cookies, or real food, and use just like a regular oven- without the electricity! The next pic is our local fresh food store that I just love. If it grows here and is on mega sale, supposedly I can can it- right? I hope so. But only if I'll eat it... so we're talkin' apples, peaches, and jams, tomato things.  I need a canning buddy. The lookout has begun.

 




2 comments:

Tara Oliver said...

I've realized this week that it's sort of hard to grow up. It's hard to grow into new roles. We're not young clueless single BYU students anymore, but it's hard to think of myself as a parent, a Relief Society sister, and a visiting teacher now. It's an adjustment, growing older, isn't it? :)

Jess said...

Yes! And so weird to think of my mom in these shoes just 25 yrs ago. very circle-of- life realization. hahaha