We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Outside the Box



Did I ever tell you that the first time my kid watched part of a full length movie was on a trip to the temple, because the babysitters brought Racing Stripes, and it even cussed in it, in jest of course, and I was cringing at the whole situation? Ahhh, I hate those moments where I feel like my personal viewpoints clash with the social norm and then I have to either miss out on a situation completely, or subject my child to something I just really rather wouldn't. I'm sure someone out there is rolling their eyes, but it was an awkward moment. Anyhow, we have taken advantage of people offering to babysit for a couple times and figured it was our turn to help out again, so I packed up an IKEA bag full of toys, etc, so that the huge ol' TV wouldn't be an issue (although to be honest, I DID bring a DVD of a Mr. ROgers episode in case someone would insist that TV had to happen, but I was in major doubt of that.) And then, to my relief, we walked in the nursery room (that usually doubles as a Visitor's Center room to answer questions about the temple next door)- and saw that it had been moved somewhere else. Hallelujah! A tv-hating mom's prayer was answered. 
And we had fun without it. We teamed up with some others to man the nursery, and set up a city mat with cars in one part of the room, Noah's Ark and animals in another, tons of matchbox cars and those cool towers in another, and had a huge butcher paper piece to color on while eating snacks at the table. We snuck in a walk around the temple too. There was chalk to draw on the chalkboard, a soccer ball to kick around, and my favorite moment was when the kids started creating "puppet shows" at this table with their fingers. The younger ones were pretty limited to rabbit stories, and Peter was just bustin' out the stories left and right. It was a happenin' place in there.

1 comment:

Charlo said...

Ug. Racing Stripes was a horrible movie. Absolutly stupid.