We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley~





Loehrmann Family Favorite Recipes

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

LIVE STRONG





Yes, we are BEAMing. I know, I know. You're thinking 'Gee whiz- Here they go again'
It's okay. We are ecSTATic parents about this little boy. And he can RIDE A BIKE!!!!!!!!!!

After Family Night tonight, where Lukas gave his first Family Night lesson all by himself (YAYYY!!) about the Brother of Jared asking for the Lord to light the ships and bearing his testimony about having faith, we had a scoop of ice cream and two strawberries each. And the look on Lukas' face said it all-like a jubilee of happiness all over his face. (We try to connect sugar to reallllly important things around here- family night, General Conference, Family Day, and it's amazing how excited a three yr old can get about one little scoop of vanilla ice cream.)

Then, the "activity" planned by dad. We wanted to finally get his "riding a bike" on video. For the record, his first real ride was about 15 meters by himself at Orchard Park 4 days before his 3rd birthday. Jared drove me over there for something and took Lukas' bike with too (since I'd just bought it for six bucks at the SPCA and Jared had just finished tightening everything. Forget that it was starting to rain, those two were set on riding that bike!)

Since then, he's been on just a few times when I'd haul his bike in the trailer to the wider bike path at the park where I'd run along with him while he tried. Short distances. But riding nonetheless.

A few weeks have gone by with rain and sickness, so tonight was THE night. And he went one whole mile riding by himself- all the way to the park and back!!! I ran along side with the camera, or in front so Lukas would "chase" me, thus keeping him on the right side of the road, and I felt all kinds of love for Jared who was his running motorcade, protecting him the entire way from an altercation with asphalt. Right there by him the whole time. Lukas would call out "Du hast mich??" ("You got me?") and he did. Right by him the whole way. Lukas was beaming and didn't want to stop most of the time. Old people driving by would nod and smile their wise and proud smiles of major nostalgia and approval. I love an old person's nod of approval.

Once at the park, Lukas was super proud of himself, and wanted to keep riding in circles for awhile, then to the playground where he wanted to do everything that his dad did. I love it when they have these bonding moments. I know that someone smart once said that the best thing a man can do for his kids is to love their mother, but I want to add that the best thing a man can do for his wife is to love those kids! These boys played with sticky feet on the slide, and the merrygoround. Loved Lukas' face on there. Fun,scared,fun,scared,fun!





Anyhow, it was a nice jog home, and we made it with only one skinned knee, and Lukas got to ride on Dad's shoulder the whole way up the stairs-- champion style-- as we all shouted HIP HIP HOORAY! a jillion times. He worked so hard and he did it!!

I'd like to give a shout out to the people who make STRIDER bikes. Totally worth the investment for the year of learning balance on that little red bike. He has only really had to learn the pedaling! And the bike holds up well over time for more than one person's use! Props to little rider Jakob G. and bike-man Joe S. for getting us hooked on it! I could do an infomercial for them, I am THAT amazed by the results.

4 comments:

keith and arianne said...

Okay, that's amazing, way to go Lukas! I seriously don't think I've ever seen a kid that young ride without training wheels!
- Arianne

Tabitha said...

I have been debating over whether or not to spend the money on a balance bike, but everyone I talk to says it is TOTALLY worth the investment. We will have to get one so Sawyer can practice all summer and hopefully be able to ride a big boy bike like Lukas when he turns 3!

Tara Oliver said...

wow, riding a bike before 3! pretty impressive! that's really cool. I don't know when I'll get my 5-year-old off training wheels. :) love your latest updates!

jana said...

I am impressed! And I love your beaming parent picture. All kids should have one in their baby book somewhere. Way to go Lukas! Just think of all the places you can go and things you can do. FUN!